Monday, June 29, 2009

Kaylee's 1st big recital!

Last week Kaylee was able to participate in her first ballet performance on the big stage! We had a dress rehearsal on Wednesday night and the actual recital on Saturday night. It was so much fun!!!


Dress Rehearsal
Kaylee was so excited to wear full make up. She only has put on a little dab of blush and lip gloss before so eye shadow, mascara and darker lips was a new and exciting thing for her!


That tickles Mommy... that's all I heard whenever I touched her eyes. Haha!



The finished product. All ready to go now!

During the rehearsal they practiced the bow's first so all the dancer's were on stage at the same time. It was a little chaotic at times but the little ones made it through. Kaylee is in the middle left of this picture.
Pretty ballerina.
The Zip gals. The song they danced to was Zippity Do Dah by Johnny Mercer so they were referred to as the Zips.
Smiling pretty girls!


Recital
Here we are getting ready for the actual recital on Saturday.

All ready to go again.
Benny says, take a picture of me!
Examining her flower. I love this picture of my ballerina.
And this one too!

Kaylee and Carson after they were all done performing.

Ballerina Buddies
At home enjoying her flowers and ready to get all that make up off!




Unfortunately no cameras were allowed in the show so I didn't get a picture or video footage of her dancing but here is the recap...

You know there is always one little ballerina in every show who cries... well that was mine! You see during the rehearsal the lights on stage were turned on and off a couple of times and the girls got a chance to get used to them. Well the day of the recital it was a little different. They were brought onto a dark stage and then the lights and music turned on. Kaylee started to cry and didn't dance for the first 30 seconds or so of the dance. She pulled herself together, braved the dance floor and finished her dance strong! I was so proud of her. You could hear the audience all moan "awww" as she stood crying. She must have won them over with her tears. :) Back stage this is how our conversation went...
Me "Kaylee, why were you crying on stage sweety?"
Kaylee "Because the lights were too bright!"
Me "So what did you do?"
Kaylee "I saw you standing on the side and I wanted to go see Mommy because I was crying but then I thought I wasn't here to see Mommy, I was here to dance so I started to dance!"
Me "Wow, that's great thinking honey! I'm so proud of you!"
Kaylee "When I was just standing there the girls kept bumping into me, this side and then that side and I didn't want to get bumped anymore so I thought I should start dancing so that I wouldn't get bumped."
Me "Good thinking honey."

I really was impressed with her reasoning ability during this stressful moment of her dance. She really was so brave and sucked it up and finished out her dance strong! Way to go Kaylee!

We thank God for our very sweet ballerina. She is truly a special gift from Him to us. It was such a blessing to see her not only dance so sweetly but to even hear how our Lord has grown her in her ability to think rightly. I think I was more blessed by that then seeing her dance. Being at the recital brought back many memories for me as I used to dance for many years as a child. It's neat to be on the other side, the proud parent side. I'm so glad she enjoys dancing but most of all I love her and her sweet heart.

If I ever get a chance I'll post some footage here but I will not get the DVD for 8 weeks so stay tuned... it should be a cute one to watch.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that is awesome she was able to think through that and even more cool is that she was able to verbalize it to you.

Karen and Joe said...

awwwww how precious! All of it, from her sweet costume, pretty make up and brave preformance working through it! Be very proud mom! That's awesome! can't wait to see video!

Elizabeth said...

That is such a sweet story. I loved all the pictures. I used to dance too and I really miss it now. What a brave girl you have. Way to go Kaylee!