Thursday, October 23, 2008

Worthy of blogging

There many different types of blogs out there. One type of blogging is just pictures of what is going on in one's life and another type is people typing their thoughts on things. I usually just post pictures of what our kid's are up to on my blog but this time I actually have something else to blog about! Ha! So here she goes...


Universal Carpet Saga!!!!!

Many of you are aware of this drama that we've been dealing with since July. Some of you are not so here is a quick recap...

Upon moving to our new home in June, the carpets needed to be replaced. We went to several companies for estimates and thankfully found a fabulous one, Sterling Carpet in Anaheim (salesman named Darin), to do the job within our Landlord's price range. They did a fabulous job and we love the carpet!

One of the companies we visited was Universal Carpet. We went to the one in Irvine though there are many locations. They are also known as LA Carpet. We liked the salesperson and thought he did a great job at explaining all of the different carpet's out there to us. So we decided to have him come out to measure for us. In order to do that, we needed to leave a $100 fully refundable deposit. Okay fine, we did. 3 days later he comes out, measures and brings different samples that we had talked about in the store. We get the estimate and tell him we will have to talk with our Landlords and see if this price is okay with them. He wanted us to leave another fully refundable deposit as a means to secure the price he quoted us. He said after talking with our Landlords call him and let him know if we wanted to go forward. If not he would cancel everything no questions asked. So we agreed and gave him another $584. We noted in the fine print of the invoice/contract that we had 3 days to cancel and receive our refund. In the mean time we found Sterling Carpet and liked their price and carpet better so we called Universal and canceled on the 3rd day. We thought everything was fine until charges appeared on our bank account about a week after we canceled. Like any good American consumer, we called our Salesperson and told him there must have been a mistake. Assuming the best in him. He proceeded to call me a liar, said I never called and that we can't get our $ back. I talked with a store manager who claimed he wasn't the store manager, customer service and a whole bunch of people. I also left several messages for various people and they wouldn't call back. They all said no we cannot get our refund. This huge corporation wants our small family's money for what? They have way more $ than we do! Arg! I was so peeved!

Soooo, we called our Debit Card Service department and asked them to dispute the charges. They did... twice and they lost twice. Once because they concluded that we received carpet from Universal and just weren't happy. The next time they said something that is too confusing to blog about but basically they did a really pour investigation.

On our way to small claims we were. In filling out the paper work for small claims I needed to know the corporation's correct name and address as well as the name of the individual the claim needed to be given to. So I came across the name of the General Manager and when I called to verify that the information was correct, I was actually able to talk to the General Manager! I had left messages for him previously but he never called back so I was shocked that he actually talked with me. I told him about our situation and asked him one last time to reverse the charges or else we were going to have to go to court. I told him that I had a cell phone record that shows I called on the 3rd day and was willing to provide him with any other information he needed. So he said he would talk with the salesperson and get back to me. Of coarse he didn't call so I proceeded to fill out the paper work. I called Universal a few times on Monday asking for information I needed for the claim and sure enough the General Manager finally called me and said you are going to get your deposits back! I couldn't believe my ears! Of coarse he never said sorry or ask about how I was treated because that would be admitting fault right?! But nonetheless, I'm getting my $ back! All of it! No court! Yea! Supposedly it will be in our account within 5-7 business days from this past Tuesday! We shall see! But I'm so thankful! It really wasn't anything I did or said that got our money back. It was completely the Lord! I said and did all the same things back in July but they just wouldn't hear me. It wasn't until this October that the Lord opened their ears and caused them to do the right thing! Praise God!

That's the end to my worthy of blogging post! God is good!

Ps. Don't use Universal Carpet or LA Carpet! :) I'm calling for a boycott! :)
______________
Friday, October 24
** Update**
The money has been posted to our account!

2 comments:

Jen S said...

Wow! That is awesome, Monique!Is that the matter you talked to my husband about, or was that something different? So glad this worked out well! Those types of situations can be SO frustrating. We have had plenty ourselves and I always get so MAD. It's nice to know that every once in awhile justice prevails! ;)

Karen and Joe said...

OH my Goodness! I can't belive that! What a pain! I can't believe what crooks they are! You know we had a not so good experience with them as well. We had them do the wood flooring and didn't finish off the edging and they thought that that was acceptable. So that was a fight to have them finish it right! Such a run around. But in the end it worked out for us too. Glad there was a happy ending! Hooray!